August 21, 2010

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

This is to all my peeps that want to know the Good the Bad and the Ugly so far.  Granted, we have only been here for a few weeks so some of my views may change. Lets start with a wish list of things I wish I would have brought along for the ride. More of my dishes to entertain people (because we have so many friends here)...Just kidding, we have NO friends but we treat the guards like they are family well maybe not family but we did introduce them to corn hole (mid west's version of horseshoes). Last Friday night we were playing with them and I said to Trent "Is it sad that our friends are security guards that only understand about a third of what we are saying?" But in truth, I really do miss some of my kitchen appliances/pretty serving bowls, it would not have been a big deal to bring them and it would have saved me some cash (because I have had to re buy a lot of my electrical appliances). I could have plugged mine from home in to a transformer, never mind that it weighs 20 pounds and you wonder if you are going to get electrocuted every time you plug it in. I tried to minimize kitchen stuff but I wish I wouldn't have.
The second most thing that I wish I would have purchased was more American cereal. You can  find a few select brands here, like Frosted Mini Wheats but it is between $8-9 dollars a box, OUCH! Our supply is near gone and the Philippine version of cereal does not look as appealing. (Did I mention that for half gallon of milk it is about $4? Maybe I should buy a goat, and name him Pepe. More American treats in general would have been a good idea. Trent has been saving a bag of chocolate licorice, he eats a couple of pieces every night (he is about to have a rude awakening when he goes to the market and sees his options :) Although, the bonus to this small crisis is it has helped me in the weight area, along with sweating off a bucket of fluid every day.
Third, and finally I think their have been a few little things that I think "man I wish I would have brought that" like table lamps (because, they are either ridiculously ugly,cheep AND most of the time ridiculously priced). This sounds kind of funny but we have spent so much of our time looking for just a couple of regular alarm clocks, I would compare our shopping to that of the Dollar Store in options and quality. Sometimes I feel like we have stepped back in time and that these guys got all of our leftover damaged goods from the 80's. I went to buy wrapping paper and it was sold by the the sheet and it looked like they had already used it a couple of times (should have listened to Sina). Those are a few minor things, but nothing we can not live with out.
Any time I think "this is lame" or "what the heck?" It does not last long because a short ride through town makes me realize how blessed we are and I get over it pretty quick. I would say up to this point we have had an awesome first month, yes, I may miss a few of my favorite things but that void feels up quickly and in a lot of ways, I feel like I am seeing life in color.
 
Jeepney rider playing his drums  for money.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for fulfilling my request! We will have to band together and send you a care package.......any progress on making a friend with a military APO address??? It is funny, reading your thoughts takes me back to all the things Amy told me about their first few months as well. A little adaptation would probably be good for all of us but only a select few get that opportunity. Thanks for letting all of us get a small glimpse of life on the other side of the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, how am I supposed to ever talk with you. I don't have your number and I know you won't call mine....Please advise. Furthermore I need to keep you posted on your favorite nephew George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie you are so funny and so brave. You have such a great attitude. It is so amazing how blessed we are and don't even know it.
    Syd is so darn cute in her school uniform. She looks so grown up. And Tate is so cute with his school friend Pepe. Mindy sure misses you and keeps us updated. (Don't you be picking up any hitchikers!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling for you Jamie! I should have told you about the appliances-sorry! On the bright side you do get to simplify your life a bit but there's no substitute for American junk food. How do we send you a care package?
    All in all you have an awesome attitude about the whole process and your kids are gaining life skills that will serve them well later on.
    Hang in there- need some hair spray by the gallon?
    We're transitioning well here with just a few language issues!
    Mary-Anne

    ReplyDelete