October 11, 2011

THANK YOU!

I never got the chance to post this before leaving the Philippines.
 So many of you made sacrifices to help improve my friend Jeanie's humble home.
 We wanted to show you what came of it and also send our deepest gratitude. 
I was not able to get a shot
before they ripped down the East wall but imagine scraps of wood and a little tin.
The tin roof was flat with no pitch, it was maybe a 10 by 8 room. This
house provided room for five people, not enough room for even a small single bed. The
windows had pieces of plastic for protection and the floor was scraps of wood put together. The major problem that we wanted to help 
fix, was the water leaking in during major storms and adding some room where we could.
Even if it made life a little more comfortable.
 I had to remind myself through the process, that it might be hard for me to imagine life like this,
but this would even seem a luxury to many Filipinos. 
AND...
Most importantly, they are happy! All of the time. It has been the most valuable lesson in life I have learned yet. 
I can never thank you all enough for your thoughtfulness, I wish you could have been there in person to see the smiles on Jeanie's and her families faces. 
Thank you, thank you a million times over. 

hole to basement...
Stairs going down 
(I thought for sure, I was going to bust one of those)
The half wall you see on the right is 
where their CR is (comfort room) or what we call a bathroom.
 (2X3...at best)
 There is a tap and a bucket used for a shower and a very
simple toilet.

Here it is starting to come together....
 Concrete walls and concrete floor, awesome.

Standing in the back of the house, looking out.
Honestly, look at that smile!
 This is Jeanie with her cousin, also the builder! 
He came up from a southern province to help with the improvements.
In just a matter of a few days, our close friends and family sent almost
 $2000.00! While it might not sound like a lot for a home improvment
here....it is WAY awesome in the Phils. I will post the finished product soon,
I just wanted you to get a glimpse. THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment