January 6, 2011

Baguio

 You know those moments in life when you think "This is what I have always wanted!" (high expectations in life... I know) horseback riding is one of those things Trent and I love. It was so great to share that with our kids and have them enjoy it as much as we both do. Sure, it was not the place I ever imagined us being or even the steeds I imagined we would be riding (Trent's feet could have probably hit the ground on these fine Filipino ponies). But I do not think you could have wiped the smiles from our faces. We took a trip over the Christmas break to Baguio (5-6 north of Manila) where the air is a bit cooler and we actually had to bust out the long sleeve t-shirts...weird and wonderful.

 Tate kind of stole my heart on this outing, he is our more conservative child so I was thrilled that he was so into it. He had an ear to ear smile the whole time. Syd was a natural in the saddle, she also wanted me to mention that her guides name was "Byrd" (I love Filipino names). They were really cute with the kids.When they brought out Trent's horse they said "He is little but strong!" I love that picture of him and the Emmy-mister.

 Baguio is truly a unique place. your driving through the tropics and the next thing you know you are winding up steep mountainsides in to lush pine trees. Trent's my Mountain Man so he was thrilled with our quick mountain get-away!

 Syd requested the "Tree Top Adventure" I tried everything I could to talk her out of it. I don't think 5 year old's understand things like "Hey this is third world country craziness" or "I do not think they are  following appropriate tree top protocol". Try as I might, I ended up joining my little thrill seeker and Trent up high in the sky. Your LOCO Syd!
Capt'n Insano Pants

What is this?

Baguio is known for having beautiful wood carvings. We spent a morning looking through different wood shops (I use the words "shops" loosely).  Some were just little caves on the side of the road with a Filipino inside carving away. We found many of treasures and are sure to head back for more:)


Syd and Tate sporting their Baguio caps





Dindo will strike a pose anywhere anytime.

The place we stayed is called Camp John Hay. Totally cool and once again, we were not let down with the wonderful Filipino hospitality.




Em is in to giving the best hugs right now

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Looks like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love tate's huge smile! you guys are so cute! miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I love the blog! I have just spent the last hour catching up and all of your posts since you got to the Phillipines and I am so jealous. You have such a great attitude about your adventure and I can just imagine your laugh when things are going wrong. Keep posting often, I can't wait to read more. Love ya, Cyd

    ReplyDelete