January 16, 2011

Mount Pinatubo Expedition

I feel like almost every time I post I say this but this was so dang cool! We hiked Mnt. Pinatubo last Saturday, and it really was one of the most amazing places I have ever seen in my life. I felt like I was standing in front of a painting...I could not believe it was a real place and that any thing like it could exist. Trent and I have seen and done some pretty cool things together but I think we both feel like this was maybe one of our more memorable places that we have ever been. Thanks to our way cool friend Jenny for hooking us up with this cool day trip adventure! 

We started our epic journey at 5:00 am, headed north for a couple of hours to where our big boy jeeps were waiting. Allyson and her hubby; something about Alex made me feel safe (maybe because he made his back pack look like an ant along for the ride). 
Allison, Alex and Trent in front of our homemade jeep

Don't be nervous Mom

We jeep'ed up this river bed, they put a snorkel on your jeep so it can handle water in take. I could hardly snap photos because I was between laughing and clinging on for dear life.



 This is where  our jeep ride ended and our hike began. The hike was pretty mild,  but I still managed to sweat like a maniac. I think it was the heat because I am pretty sure a Grandma could manage this hike.....well a tough a Grandma.

Notice our guides schlepping our goods
The hike only took a couple of hours and it is strange because you do not feel like your taking on massive elevation.  You come around a corner and there it sits! A massive crater that has filled up with fresh water left from the volcano's eruption in the early 90's.  We had an awesome swim, a great lunch and a perfect hike back.







The Groupies





Some of the natives huts. It is hard to believe that people live like this.


Though it pains me to put this picture in, I had to prove that I rode a carabao. (I would not recommend this) but when the natives started throwing off their personal goods so I could give it a whirl, I felt the pressure was on...with my "trucker appearance" and all. Of course Trent's famous advice, "I don't know babe, it looks pretty dirty!" We decided that probably not many foreigners have opted for this one.
In my head I am thinking "Take my picture, take my picture now Dude!"

That pretty much sums up our excellent outing to Pinatubo. Totally worth seeing. We ended our day at a very Filipino spa which included a nice, cold shower and a Filipino/Korean feast (which is still taking its toll, if you know what I mean). Thanks outfitter Henessey, you rock! (Even though you bailed fast on our carabao ride) you know how to have a good time!

5 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I rode a caraboa back in the 90's. I am so sending the picture over - if I can find it! I saw Mt. Pinatubo when I first got there in the 91 - it was right after it erupted - there wasn't a pretty lake then (: So, when can Trent get John a job at P&G over there? I want to be your neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one CRAZY sista! I love it, awesome pictures. You guys are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate you. And you know I mean that in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry for bailing! that carabao looked pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Pictures looks like a hoot. Brings back some memories hiking in Hawaii and the special Tree.
    CC

    ReplyDelete