February 12, 2011

Deep Thoughts by Jamie Handy


I am so sad for the day that  this kind of stuff is normal (I am almost there).  We are coming up on 8 months and I feel like seeing things like grown men going potty out in the open is totally normal. I have to remind myself that it is NOT normal and that these people are probably opting to tinkle outside because their bathrooms (or comfort rooms, as they call them) are disgusting. I am actually looking forward to coming home this summer and finding the dirtiest rest stop that I can imagine and seeing if it even phases me (I really do think about these kind of things). For those of you who know how "phobic" my Trent is you can imagine how therapeutic this place has been for him. I love studying his face when we are on road trips and it is time for a potty break the guy has really embraced third world living.




And people carrying things on top of their head is totally normal right? This picture does not even seem weird like it did before. Oh, I am so sad that all these funny things are wearing off. Although, I can not imagine that seeing a view like this rice field (below)will ever seem normal. I am so thrilled for this opportunity and am thankful for everyday life here. It makes me extremely grateful for what I have and happy for the little comforts that make life a little easier.  This place has taught me so much about myself and our relationships with others. When people ask "how are  you, really?" 

-Really, really GOOD.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. I am glad you are doing good and enjoying EVERYTHING that the Philippines has to offer. I think of you often and am so glad you are taking the time to share it all with us!

    ReplyDelete