March 23, 2011

Service p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkebc9izu3I
Go here for cute Filipino happiness! The words of the song get me every time.

We headed south for our afternoon service project to the dump-sight school (I have posted about this place before).  This school was set up for the children who are not able to attend school in the city due to distance and cost. It is free to the children if their parents will commit to attend a "life skill" coarse. This is another place that makes me have to fight the tears. The kids are so cute and are always happy to have visitors. With peoples generous donations from Beth and Cassie's ward (LDS hurch), they were able to provide a nice meal for each child's family along with hygiene kits. Beth, YOU ROCK!
 We went and watched the kids sing and practice for their upcoming graduation. Beth was truly an attraction. The kids were lined up at the door to see her. They kept saying "Whats her name?" Cassie said "Hotty".  I am certain they had no idea what she was talking about (not really Filipino dialect) but it was really funny to hear the kids say "Hotty come here" or "Hotty where you from?" Poor Beth.
 Mommies so happy for the food they received. The teachers taught them how to use the hygiene kits as well. After debating on taking some of my kids worn out shoes down (a little embarrassed because they looked so rough), I was glad I did because when I handed them to the teacher she told me she would give them to the children that had earned high honor for the year.

Just a glimpse of the neighborhood.....

 Nothing like a day of helping others to make you grateful and humble for the simple things in life. Beth's final act of service for the day was letting Emmy watch movies from her Ipod. Beth stayed asleep while Emmy jabbed the ear phones into her nose, ears and mouth. Sweet- cousin- love.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed with Beth. She's not only beautiful, but amazing at service and earning her own money to come over?!! Cassie's doing a great job. Looks like you had a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a cute post, I am so proud of Bethy.

    ReplyDelete